Thursday, October 15, 2009

Tear Stained Pages…

This sounds like a Taylor Swift song. No just me? Cool good to know.

So here is this week’s question a little early but I pretty much was bored. What was the first book you ever cried over?- actual tears where you were literally so involved that you didn’t notice the crying until the dark stains showed up on the pages. I am really not a crier (I do and am not a robot) but hardly ever do I really cry, which is why a book that makes me do so is so special.

And here is my answer Little Women. Me and a group of friends read this in fourth grade back when we would have awesome read-ins. Oh I miss them. No I have HW-ins and clean house- ins, it is simply not the same. But not to wreck anything for anyone but I pretty much balled like a toddler when Beth dies and literally did not finish the book because of it. It still sits on my shelf and I need to read it all, but like a boyfriend who hit me I will not go back. The whole book just sliced my heart out and put it in front of me, to the Laurie and Jo drama and then him moving on with another sister (not cool dude ever!), burning Jo’s manuscript and so on and on. I have a feeling if I read it today I would not find it as melancholy but in those pre-teen years it was very sad for me.

Honorable Mention: The River King By Alice Hoffman I read this in HS and love her books, there is also a semi-funny story that goes along with this book. But it was another that just broke my heart with its sadness. I want to read it again but can never get my courage back up for the emotional wreck it makes me.


Heidi:
When I was small my mother used to read books to us. We read books like Little Women, Little Men, Adventures of Tom Sawyer, all kinds of things. First off let me say I only cry because of animals. Movies, books, whatever, when there are animals concerned, especially dogs... I cry. When I was 8 or 9 we read a book called Rascal. Wonderful book about a boy who finds a baby raccoon and raises it and finds in Rascal a fantastic friend. I also cannot finish this because I will start crying. I don't remember the entire story but I remember the book and I remember crying over my puppy mischief for a good hour. It was a pivotal moment in my life.
*Runner Up (This was added after Kara's because she reminded me of something) Of Mice and Men. I have spoken on my other blog of my love for Gary Sinese. In 9th grade we read, watched, AND listened to this book. It was narrated by Gary Sinese and when it gets to the end, and Lenny has to be dealt with I was totally crying. In my 9th grade-tryingtobecoolerthanyou-tryingtofitin class. Luckily I was not the only one crying.


Kara:
Like Heidi, my crying books (and movies) all revolve around frakkin' dog stories (or animal stories in general I guess, I've been known to cry over movies with horses in them as well.) Because inevitably, the purpose of an animal in a story is for said animal to die, so that the boy/girl can learn some valuable life lesson. Around age 13, I declared a new rule in my life that has served me very well since then: I Don't Watch Dog Movies. This goes for reading books too. I have not, and will not, see or read "Marley & Me," especially since my family also owns a totally hyper and crazy yellow lab. While I was at my in-laws for Christmas last year, the rest of my family went to see "Marley & Me" and when they came back home, Shiloh and I started laughing because every single one of them was red-eyed, tear-stained and had a headache from crying so much. As far as I'm concerned, there is just no reason to do this to yourself, particularly when my own life often provides ample crying opportunities. I instituted this rule after I had to read "Where the Red Fern Grows" in my 7th grade Enriched Language Arts class. To make matters worse, we had to read that book in class, which meant that I cried in front of the rest of the class (although I don't think I was the only one.) Since then, I've stuck by my rule steadfastly. I love animals, but I don't need to read about their heartbreaking deaths.

Abbey:
Ditto Kara.  Ditto Heidi.  Ditto Cory.  So unexciting, I know, but it's true!  Mostly my problem is this:  I have a horrible memory.  I rememer how I felt and things like that, but not specifics, it's awful!  So all I can think of when Cory asks what book first made us bawl unabashedly, is that the first time I ever really did that was for the movie Powder.  It's not a book, I know, but since Where the Red Fern Grows and Rascal were already taken, it's all I can really come up with, given my awful memory!  So, I'll buck the trend of actually answering the question properly, and go with the movie Powder.  (Memory problem strikes again) I don't even really remember what the movie was about, but I just know I sat on the couch and I had to bring the box of Kleenex over next to me because I was sobbing.  Hiccuping, sobbing, mass amounts of tears, running nose, all of it.  I will think on this question though, and if at some point I remember a better answer, well then I'll change it!

Megan:
I have to go with Abbey on this one. Ditto everybody. Ok, so I have to admit I am a crier. You catch me in the wrong mood and I will cry at a TV commercial, but the first book that I remember crying over was The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. You know the scene. Aslan is calmly walking to his death with Lucy and Susan watching. The White Witch gloats for a while and then they kill him. I also have cried over just about any book, movie or TV show where someone, person or animal, dies. So I can't really judge what makes a book worth crying over, but I certainly remember the parts that tugged on my heartstrings better than any other part of the book.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Kara: I totally am with you on this. I straight up refuse to see Marley & Me. Not happening.

Cory B. said...

I was just goignto type the same thing Marley & Me like the Saw movies will never see a no go!