Friday, November 13, 2009

Here Comes Santa Claus!

Four of the five HACKs have lived in the Phoenix area (and I believe Corey has at least visited many, many times), so we all know that in Phoenix, there are no seasons. Well, there are, but they're "What the Rest of the World Calls Fall but We Call Winter" (sort of what's happening today), "Hotter than Anywhere Else Spring," "Welcome to Summer," and "Why Didn't They Just Build This City on the F'ing Sun?" (Bonus points for anyone who can tell me what movie that's from!) So, to create the illusions of seasons at least within my own home, when its still in the upper 90s in mid November for crying out loud, I do many things. I'm not particularly domestic, but I've really gotten into seasonal additions to our decor (see my blog for the Thanksgiving table), I burn candles that smell the way seasons should smell, and I start Christmas early. Really early. Like after Halloween!



Actually, that's a new addition this year, since we leave for ABQ for the holidays around the middle of December, Shiloh said he feels like he gets gypped with our holiday decorations only being up for the two weeks after Thanksgiving. So he gave me permission to start decorating after Halloween this year, and I'm having fun! Its also put me in the mood to start my other create-a-season tradition, watching Christmas movies! I have a long list that I must see each holiday season, and while this is not normally the case, with Christmas movies, I'm a "the cheesier the better" kind of gal. Something about having a tree and snow and Santa somewhere in the movie just makes up for every ridiculously cliche line of dialogue and plot. So, I'm bringing the HACKs with me on this early Christmas journey and asking,
What movies are on your holiday must see list?


Kara: As I mentioned earlier, the list is long. And oddly enough, gets longer every year. I don't know how they keep coming up with ways to work story lines into Christmas scenarios but they do! And I like to see at least one new one every year. But the classics are:
1- "All I Want for Christmas-" loved it since I was a kid, Ethan Embry and Thora Birch before they did "real" movies are fantastic as the kids trying to get their parents back together for Christmas, and Lauren Bacall and Thora do a "Baby Its Cold Outside" duet that's worth the price of admission.
2- "What a Wonderful Life-" this is a classic for a reason, it never gets old and is worth the three hours every single year. And I truly believe that no man is a failure who has friends.
3- "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" & "Frosty the Snowman-" the old school stop motion and animation classics are on TV somewhere several times every season, but I got them on sale at Target after Christmas last year so now I can watch them on my schedule. Love that abominable snowman!
4- "How the Grinch Stole Christmas-" with Jim Carrey, although the cartoon is also fantastic, cracks me up. I like being able to recite the Grinch's too-busy-to-attend-the-festival schedule and want to do my hair like the Grinch women.
5- "Holiday Inn" & "A White Christmas"- make me miss my dancing years and have the best songs and sets.
I love "Shrek the Halls" (watch Puss 'n Boots try to tell the Christmas story while not getting distracted by the ball hanging off his Santa hat) and "A Charlie Brown Christmas" for non full-length feature films, and I think the new movie I want to see this year is "Fred Claus." It came out last year, but I never saw it and I love Vince Vaughn!


Heidi - Okay I love Christmas more than anything but this love manifests itself most often in the form of listening to music 24 hours a day not watching movies. I'm so sorry to everyone but I actually don't like the little motion movies at all. At all. Don't get me wrong I've seen them all but I don't enjoy them. But I have a list nonetheless. (BTW Kara I am ALL for starting Christmas after Halloween :) Not in any order but my thoughts:
1) It's not a set conscious tradition but I do manage to watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas, but it's either the live version with my hero Jim Carrey or I listen to it. I really love the music of the Jim Carrey version though.
2) Okay this isn't a movie but I think it counts anyway. When I was small we used to go every year to see the Nutcracker ballet. I love this ballet more than any other Christmas tradition we have (other than looking at lights on Christmas Eve). When we stopped going I miss it every year and secretly wish we could go again.
3) Last but not least White Christmas. Reference my earlier comment about my adoration of Christmas music and you'll understand my love of Bing Crosby. And as someone who has lived in the desert with not much snow at winter time I appreciate completely finding the Christmas spirit without snow all the more.

Abbey: Ahhhhh. Here I sit smelling the fan-friggin-tastic scent of Gold Canyon Cinnaberry, I too am dreaming of a not 90 degree Christmas. Ben flat out refuses Christmas music until Thanksgiving, but trust me, I am waiting with bated breath (yes, that's how it's spelled. I Googled). I know these have all been done already, but too bad.
*I did love Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman when I was little, and every time I see them I get a little sentimental. I haven't watched them for many a year, but now that my kids are around I will have to make these a must watch for my Christmas season.
*How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Jim Carrey style. I love this movie. Jim Carrey is the end-all be-all around our house, so this is always a Christmas must. I could really watch it over and over.
*White Christmas. Oh, White Christmas. This is the first old movie my mom had us watch that I totally loved. Even as a bratty teenager who thought all things old were lame-o, I love this movie. I love their voices, they're all smooth like butter even when they're just talking. The movie makes me want to break out into song, it always has. But if I'd done that as a 16 year old I totally would have destroyed my much worked for persona. It has always been my wish to spend christmas in Vermont. Someday, I will make Ben take us there to spend it at a bed and breakfast. Promise.
Cory- Ok so I actually do know where you are coming from I lived in Gilbert for 6 years and then in Mesa for 2 a time before that. So I get the whole going to Christmas Dinner in shorts and a tee thing. My family is all about the Christmas and really we have every Christmas movie and Christmas CD out there (you think I am joking but literally dozens) and leave decorations up until at least New Year's to make it last much longer. I am with Heidi here though I don't particularly like the stop animation shows and some of the stuff we watch is probably a little unconventional, but here it is.
1. Love Actually: Ok warning British movie so expect boobs and swear words. But this movie set at Christmas is one of my fave movies period. Me and my sister always watch it, it is a bunch of stories tied together and while they are not all the happiest they are some really good moments in this movie and all very well acted and told.
2. The Simpson's Christmas: Umm not so much in rotation now but when we were kids we almost broke the tape. Highlights Bart getting a tattoo for his mom's present. And then he has to get it lasered off and Maggie keeps poking him and all you hear over and over is "Ow, Quit it."
3. The Santa Clause: Tim Allen is the man in our household so one of these always gets pulled out.
4. Whatever we marathon that year: we are weird and usually on Christmas what ends up happening is all of us huddled in the living room in some ridiculous flannel PJs and blankets watching whatever we just got for Christmas. Last year it was Life Season 1 my dad got it, all of us got hooked including my visiting grandparents and Heidi for a spell and it lead to us basically threatening each other like you better not watch this without me! So who knows what it will be this year. I need to see Band of Brothers so that might happen then.

Megan - I totally get the Phoenix thing. I always had such a hard time with it not getting cold for the holidays. Even without snow christmas should be a cold event. I have never really been into the candle thing so I don't really get into the season with smells. For me it is always about CHRISTMAS MUSIC!! Mannheim Steamroller (So jealous that Mom, Dad, Rob and Kelly are going to the concert without me!!), Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Charoltte Church, and then all the pop singers take on Christmas. I usually try and limit myself to only listening after thanksgiving, but I normally give in before that.
When it comes to movies I have to go with all the old favorites that everybody has talked about above. How the Grinch Stole Christmas, White Christmas, The Santa Claus, etc, but each year I also rewatch old favorites like Cutting Edge, Lord of the Rings trilogy, etc. There's just something comforting about curling up on a cold day and watching movies that I've seen a million times.

2 comments:

Abbey said...

Kara weren't you in the Nutcracker?? At Popejoy?

Kara said...

I wasn't actually, although I'd sort of always wanted to be. I danced in "Christmas Joy," which is kind of a Christian alternative to the Nutcracker, giving the real Christmas story and narrative of Jesus' life to different songs, both Christmas and Christian. I danced in that every year from age 8 through my junior year of high school and its still my best Christmas memories, even though by the time I was an advanced dancer it meant literally being at the studio every Saturday for 8 hrs starting in August.