Thursday, November 5, 2009

Outta the Box

Oopsie, little late for this past weekends question,,, since it's almost next weekend. Anyway. My question to all the lovely ladies (all the lovely ladies, all the lovely ladies, all the lovely ladies... Single Ladies anyone?) this week is:
What is your favorite movie that is totally out of your normal "box"? If you are a horror person, let's say, what is your favorite romantic comedy? Etc, etc.

Abbey
I am definitely a comedy person. Comedies, romantic comedies, the like. I do enjoy my dramas (Cast Away, Shawshank, etc), but for the most part I am a comedy person. I really could pass on most thrillers/action movies. Haven't seen the 2nd Transformers yet because I can't handle the stress. It's intense the entire time, and not just intense, but BIG intense, and I just don't want to put that anxiety on top of my own anxiety. So I'll probably see it down the line sometime, but for now, pass. Anyway. That said, I LOVE Gone in 60 Seconds. Love. Can I say it again? Love. I love all the characters, Giovanni Ribissi is probably one of my favorite people ever. Nicolas Cage I can't stand most of the time, but he was fab in this movie. It was before Angelina Jolie was huge and virtuous so she is super fun in this one too. I totally love Gone in 60 Seconds. The music is fantastic and totally makes me want to go out and drive cars super fast (even more than Fast & Furious, which I also enjoy).


Kara
This is kind of a mean confession to make because I have very, very dear friends (and a husband!) who fall in this category, but I am in no way, shape or form a science fiction fan. I have never seen a single show, movie or even commercial on the SyFy channel (I spelled that wrong last time, and one of said dear, dear friends corrected me and I really hope I'm spelling it right now because I'm totally not sure.) I don't like science fiction movies, or even fantasy movies (with everything Harry Potter being the lone exception)- the same goes for books. I love to read, but I have tried to read "The Hobbit" dozens of times and can't handle it. It drives me crazy- unless I'm having a hard time falling asleep and then its fantastic. I think this makes me a bad person in many ways, but there you go. However, as I mentioned, I have friends and a husband who LOVE this particular genre and as such I have seen numerous Star Trek movies on opening night and saw all of the "Lord of the Rings" series on opening nights with a large group of very devoted fans. I had fun with the friends, developed a hard core crush on Viggo Mortensen (but only as Aragorn, he does nothing for me if he's not dripping wet and storming a castle door against threat of attack), and liked the movies, but I've never had even the smallest desire to see any of them again. We own all of them and I think two of them might still be in their store wrapping. And the Star Trek movies honestly frightened me- aside from not being very good, the rabid fans scare me- at one in high school I admitted to a friend that I'd never seen an episode of the show and a man behind me in full costume and speaking Klingon got up and yelled at me, screaming that I didn't deserve to be there and I'd taken a ticket that could've been given to a real fan. He probably had a point, but still, at normal movies that hardly ever happens. Weirdos! So imagine my trepidation when early this summer, Shiloh tells me he wants to go see the new "Star Trek." This is what being married is all about, I go see his stupid movies and occasionally he agrees to be drug to mine, and then we have a few that everyone wants to see. But he was way excited about it, so I knew I wasn't going to get out of it, and I think it opened only a month after we'd lost our daughter Emma, so both of us were into doing anything and everything that could make the other person happy for a few hours. And it turns out, this movie was freaking awesome. So, so good and I would have willingly gone to see it again. My sci-fi/fantasy crushes now equal three with Zachary Quinto and Chris Pine added to the list, and it solidified my opinion that basically anything J.J. Abrams touches is worth whatever time I spend watching it. From "Felicity" to "Star Trek," the guy makes everything awesome.


Cory
This is a really hard ? for me since I really don’t think I have a box, I like most types of movies. So after discussing with Heidi I realized I have an aversion for the Tear Jerker. I think it has something to do with watching Titanic 3 separate times in the theater and the trauma that caused to my pre-teen psyche but I tend to avoid these more than seek them out. After all that, here is my answer Atonement this movie is a wonderful movie! From the acting to the music to the bloody curtain fabric choices everything is perfect. But it will also kill you, emotionally speaking. And while I am not the girl who goes home closes the blinds and watched Sophie’s Choice for the 50th time to cry it out. I do love this movie. And even if you have no interest in the story, the clothes, settings, and the way things are shot make this movie gorgeous to see. Honorable Mention: While I love The Notebook which is a Tear Jerker to the core, I think that just comes from me being a card carrying girl.
And after reading Kara’s I pretty much agree while I dig some fantasy movies like HP and Stardust. I have never been one for SciFi movies in fact they did not even cross my mind that is how far off my radar they are. I too have never seen any Star Trek except the current one and have not seen all the Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. And the only thing that got me out for the new Star Trek was my undying love for all things JJ! And Chris F
ine!

Heidi
Ya know I kind of like going last because then I get to comment on everyone else's, think about what they said, and change my answer accordingly. This q was WAY hard for me, even more than Cor I think because I actually do watch Sci Fi (Chronicles of Riddick anyone?) and everything else, horror, romance, old school, action. So I decided to pick my least go to genre. Which happens to be comedy. But not just comedy, stupid comedy. Things like Old School, Scary Movie, things where it's best if you're high or just not wanting to think that day. So my outta box movie is Airplane. I adore this movie. I remember watching it late at night and laughing so hard I couldn't breath. The person who would randomly leap across the background was my absolute favorite and I think I remember my friend Autumn and I doing that at odd times for like the next month. Mostly I don't have the patience for slap-stick kinds of things but Airplane I totally loved and would definitely watch over and over again.
Side note - Go Chris Pine and Zachary Quinto! Love them both!

Megan
I am almost a complete opposite of Kara. I am a total action/sci-fi girl, so I rarely go to comedies. At least not on my own, but I almost never turn down an invitation to go see any type of movie. (Except of course horror, I haven't seen one of those since Big Bird goes to China) As far as an out of the box movie goes...I have to go with Liar, Liar. I generally like Jim Carrey but I have a hard time with the "stupid comedy" that sometimes comes from him. I was plesantly surprised with Liar Liar though.

4 comments:

Cory B. said...

I am so excited someone else actually knows about Felicity! And also loves JJ Kara.

Kara said...

Oh, how I love JJ! My college roommate and I were huge Felicity fans and I've watched everything (except "Lost," but that was because our youth group meetings were on Wednesday nights so I got behind. I plan on renting them all when the series is finished and watching them all straight through.)

And I also haven't seen all of the "Star Wars!" People always look at me weird when I say that.

Heidi said...

Abbey hasn't seen them either Kara, or Lord of the Rings so I think you're totally fine there.

Note of caution on Lost. I rented the first three seasons and watched them straight through, it's way more interesting, but don't think it's going to help you not be lost. You'll still be lost. So just accept that!!

Abbey said...

Kara some weekend after all the seasons come out, we should boot kids and husbands out and watch it all straight through...
And I have zero to no interest in seeing the remaining Star Wars or Lord of the Rings... Sorry all sci-fi fans.