Friday, September 4, 2009

First Up to Be Hacked- Fall TV Shows!

It's fall! Or so I'm told- here in Arizona its still well above 100 every day, so I'm not really feeling the fallish vibes yet. Thus I must over celebrate the traditions and events that mark the coming of fall for normal places in the world, and one of my favorites is the start of the new fall TV season!


I have to say, however, that this summer's TV schedule was awesome. I discovered ABC's "Wipeout" this summer, which I'll let Abbey hack in detail because its one of her favorites, but it proved entertaining to both me and my two year old daughter, so that's a thumbs up! I also realized this summer that all of my current favorite TV shows are on the USA Network- "Burn Notice," "In Plain Sight," and "Royal Pains" were must-sees for me this summer, and as a result I also started to get into "Psych." "Burn Notice" is a fave for both my husband and me, him because he watches absolutely everything Bruce Campbell does (and I do mean everything, which means I have to watch everything too which means that there are at least 40 hours of my life somewhere that I'd like back). This is the first thing Bruce has done that I equally enjoy, but my favorite character is Fiona. You gotta like a chic who's barely 100 pounds but as lethal as they come. I love "In Plain Sight" because its filmed in Albuquerque, my hometown, and thus all the scenes are shot in places I love and dearly miss. And "Royal Pains" is just ridiculously funny. Divia and I would totally be friends- you know, if she were a real person.

So what will replace these shows this fall? How will I possibly fill these three empty hours I now have? I suppose I could work on my lectures for my classes, or get cracking on those two articles I'm supposed to write, or turn my dissertation into a manuscript . . . or I could watch "The Office." Yep, I'll watch "The Office." Best comedy on television. I'm hoping that "Community" will be equally as funny- I love Joel McHale (anyone who's made their living making fun of reality TV stars is okay by me) and Chevy Chase in a sitcom is worth a try. I'm also going to give "The Middle," with Patricia Heaton and Neil Flynn (the janitor from "Scrubs") a try, I'm a big "Scrubs" fan so I want to see their actors continue to do well, and he was one of my favorite characters. This is also why I'll watch "Cougar Town," since its created by Bill Lawrence. TV Guide says there's a cringe for every laugh, but we'll see. Courteney Cox usually plays self-depricating really well.

I've never been much for TV drama, although that constitutes the majority of the television landscape right now- I tend to like my television escapist, sarcastic and amusing. The standout exception to this would be "24," another show I watch with my husband, but that's definitely still escapist entertainment, even if some of the crises are disturbingly real possibilities. But its not back until January. So do I need any TV drama to fill up my evenings this fall . . . ?

1 comments:

Heidi said...

JOEL MCHALE!! I love him so much.I hope Community is good. This summer was actually pretty good though. Burn Notice and In Plain Sight were my absolute favs. The girl from I.P.S. was on Ellen one day and she was ridiculously hilarious. I also think that you will be just fine if you don't want to watch drama.